Thursday, January 3, 2013

And another farm

People still think it is odd that I want to open a prawn farm here in Colorado.  It isn't a matter of being the first one to do it.  It is more a matter of being pro-active.  That is another thing people don't quite understand.  How can you be pro-active with something like this?  Well, how many times have you seen something come out on the market and think to yourself "I have thought about doing something like that so many times"?  Or a similar thought?

In all of my research I have realized that this isn't a passing fad.  This is an industry that once stayed put in the southeastern United States. (not counting overseas).  Now, I'm not just throwing names of states out here.  When I first started looking into this business, here is where there were similar types of shrimp/prawn farms.  Texas, Florida, New Hampshire and Nevada.

It is now about 8 months later, and here are the states that I know of that now have Recirculating Systems.  Texas, Florida, New Hampshire, Nevada, Ohio, Iowa, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Kansas, New Mexico, North Carolina.  Today an article came out that a new RAS farm just recently opened in Massachusetts.

So why am I being pro-active?  I started to look about 3-5 years down the line and I can tell you with certainty that Colorado will be one of the next states to have a shrimp/prawn facility.  We already have Tilapia farms, trout farms and more.  The aquaculture system in our state is close to a $15 million industry annually.  So yes, there is money to be made.  What I really don't want to have happen is to have someone who didn't grow up in Colorado to move in and say they understand what is going on here.

So with my Community Funded page, http://communityfunded.com/projects/premierscott/for-the-health-of-us-all/  and I do grovel for help getting up and going, it's not a ploy, it's not because I'm trying to scam anyone.  It's an honest effort to get a business that will provide jobs for Colorado-ans   A chance to provide a community garden that will help our neighbors that might be able to use the extra nutrition for their kids.  All that warm fuzzy stuff.

But it is about being pro-active.  The RAS facilities are getting closer.  It isn't a passing fad.  I know a lot of people feel that way.  Think about what you would like to see here.  Imported frozen goods at the store are easy.  This takes a little extra work.  I'm willing to put in the work for you and your family.

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment